Women Information Network (WINET) is a women’s rights, women led, non-governmental and non-profit organization, working to promote and protect the rights of women, girls and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs). WINET is registered with Corporate Affairs Commission Nigeria in 2002 with registration number RC:14892 and belongs to many networks. It is also registered with the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development and Enugu State Ministry of Gender Affairs and Social Development.
Vision: WINET seeks an informed society where women know, exercise and enjoy their rights, while performing their duties and obligations.
Mission is to uplift Nigerians especially women, young people and persons with disabilities by providing them with information and support to enable them live fruitful lives.
WINET is an organization in Special Consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) since 2020.
WHAT WE DO
WINET carries out activities to promote and protect the rights of women, girls and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs). We provide them with information on the procedure for enforcement of their rights and create awareness to prevent and end sexual and gender based violence against women and girls. We disseminate information to promote the sexual reproductive health and rights of women and girls and empower them with information that will enable them to make informed decisions. We carry out media campaigns and activities to prevent Sexual and Gender Based Violence.
We have conducted studies on various topics including “Assessing the Extent of Inclusion of Women in Leadership by Traditional Rulers in Six communities in Enugu State, Nigeria between 2010 and 2021 (2022); “Online Study on The Most Prevalent Types of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence During the COVID-19 Lockdown in Enugu State, Nigeria” (2020); Child and Forced Marriages in Ebenebe Community, Anambra State of Nigeria (2017)
CURRENT AND PAST PROJECTS/ACTIVITIES
- Sustained Enlightenment Campaign to End Violence against Women and Girls and Gender Based Violence in Enugu State, Nigeria in Partnership with ActionAid Nigeria under Women’s Voice and Leadership Nigeria Project (WVL-N) Funded by Global Affairs Canada (2019-2024)
- The Right to Be a Girl project -Support for 128 Female Students’ Education in Enugu State Nigeria funded by Mundo Cooperante of Spain (2022–2024)
- Human and Disability Rights Education for Women with Disabilities in Enugu State Nigeria (2021-2022) funded by African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF)
- Ending Community Acceptance and Practice of Girl-Child and Forced Marriages in Ebenebe Community, Anambra State Funded by Mundo Cooperante of Spain (2019 – 2020)
- Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Education and Counselling Services for Girls and Women with Disabilities in Enugu State funded by AmplifyChange (2019–2021)
- Celebration of International Day Women’s Day 8th March; Menstrual Hygiene Day 28th May and Human Rights Day 10th December